Monday, May 9, 2016

Summer is almost here!


I know we are all in need of some good rest and celebration after the year ends, but the summer is a very important time for your career and work experience.                                      
I keep finding myself asking people “Can you believe the school year is almost over?!” 

You can feel it in the air, the school year is coming to a close, internships are ending, and the weather is improving, these are the signs that summer is almost here.


Summer is a great time to begin to network professionally.

Explore conferences, seminars, and training's that are offered throughout the summer. These professional events are great for networking and expanding your social work training.

Volunteer work is also an important career and resume builder that can be explored during the summer. For many of us we have more free time over the summer than we do during the school year. This is a great time to volunteer, even if it is one day a week, volunteer work is another great way to network and build resume experience. As I look back on my two years at the graduate school of social work, I reflect in the importance of my summer volunteer work and how that has brought me to my career after graduation.

There are many agencies working with many unique populations that are in need of summer volunteers (take a look!)

For summer volunteer opportunities, click here.

                            


For those of you who are graduating in June, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have made it!

*Remember that the graduate school of social work’s career services are available to you for a year after graduation. We can help you with resumes, cover letters, interviewing, and job searching.*

Good luck in all your future endeavors, I have enjoyed being your assistant in career services and your classmate!


                          

No comments:

Post a Comment